I’ve previously reviewed the MindShift Filter Hive, which is the big brother to these two “mini” cases. The Filter Hive is by far the best filter carrying accessory on the market, but it’s pretty large. These mini cases cater to those that use between one and four filters, and need something with a slimmer design, to tuck into the pocket of a camera bag. They are extremely well padded, but remain light enough that you’ll forget you’ve got them in the bag. Colour-coded tabs allow you to come up with a routine for placement, and therefore identify your filters before pulling them out.
Filter Hive Mini
The Filter Hive Mini has 4 slots to hold filters up to 4 x 6 or 100 x 150 mm. It has a small nylon carry handle that comes in handy for securing into your pack on a keychain clip, or hanging on a tripod while shooting.
Filter Nest Mini
The Filter Nest Mini will hold 4 round filters of up to 82mm in diameter. The important thing to note from the photos of it, is just how thick the filters can be. If you use multiple variable NDs, which are much thicker, these will still work just fine. The case only weighs 2.6 oz (71 g), and it will fit in your pant pocket if you just want to carry around a couple of filters on a photo walk. On a recent vacation, I carried a polarizer in it for the whole time, and it worked a treat.
When I’m looking to travel fast and light, these are the filter cases I’m turning to. The larger Filter Hive is great for travelling on big photo expeditions, but for longer hikes, or having a couple of filters with me “just in case”, these two products have definitely earned a place in my kit. MindShift Gear are doing an excellent job of building out the ultimate range of packs and accessories for landscape, wildlife and adventure photographers.
Where To Buy
Further Reading – Other MindShift Gear Reviews
- Check Out My MindShift Gear Ultimate Adventure Combo!
- MindShift Rotation 180 Horizon Backpack Review
- REVIEW: MindShift BackLight 26L Outdoor Photography Pack
- What’s the Best Camera Bag for Mountain Biking?
- WIN a MindShift FirstLight photo pack!
- MindShift FirstLight Photo Pack Review
- MindShift Filter Nest Filter Holder Review
- MindShift Filter Hive Mini & Filter Nest Mini Review
- In My Bag: MindShift Gear House Of Cards
- MindShift Rotation 180 Trail – First Look
- MindShift Ultralight Camera Cover Review
- MindShift Gear Rotation 180 Panorama Review
- MindShift Gear Filter Hive Review
- MindShift Gear Rotation 180 Professional Review
- MindShift Rotation 180 Panorama Backpack
- Mindshift Filter Hive Preview
- Mindshift Lens Switch Case Review
- Mindshift Contact Sheet Review
- Mindshift Rotation 180 Top Pocket
- Mindshift Panorama Padded Insert Review
- Mindshift Professional Padded Insert Review